In the poem "A Boat Beneath a Sunny Sky," Lewis Carroll gives a lot of setting detail. He speaks about the sound of children on a nice sunny day and how he feels seeing what he sees. Carroll uses a lot of clear description in the poem to really emphasize imagery. The way he says everything makes it all feel a little dreamy and mellow. Lewis Carroll made the rhythm of the poem very slow and soft to portray a lazy feeling on a hot day.
When reading this my mind took it at a slow pace because speeding through the words made everything unclear. An example of how he used rhythm to make it feel like a lazy summer day is "Ever drifting down the stream — Lingering in the golden gleam". Here he is giving a stronger image of laying out on a boat on a day where it seems like it is to hot to really do anything. Imagery isn't the only device he used to make you feel it because the word choices and the way he structured the poem all factored into the rhythm. This was definitely an intentional choice of his because the rhythm of the poem fits in perfectly with the message the actual words were trying to portray. I like the choice because it helped me get clearer with the feelings the speaker actually felt during this hot day.
The rhythm of this poem really relates to my life because depending on the setting changes the type of reaction and ways I feel. For example a lot of the time when I am exhausted and beat from hot weather I am function very slow and drearily. Though when it is cold I might be very ecstatic and shivery because of the coldness. I feel like this poem gave a really good example that he must have observed from life and interpreted into literature. Regularly it is this type of writing I wouldn't like and skip over because it is confusing and hard though Carroll found a way to make me actually enjoy and appreciate the writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.