In the book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling, Harry and his school are changing a lot. The years before at Hogwarts in terms of rules, teachers, and other factors were relatively the same neutral. Though in this book Hogwarts gets a lot more uptight and Harry also matures and develops a lot when the book begins and throughout the story.
The main reason Hogwarts is changing so much is because Professor Umbridge, from the ministry of magic becomes a teacher there. For example on pg. 241-2 " 'Well I don't,' said Hermione bluntly. 'There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells.' ... 'Using defensive spells?'Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. 'Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. ...' " This is a small example of how Umbridge is making very strict completely different rules like, no spell casting in Defense Against the Dark Arts. My feelings about her is that she is just rude to students and it shouldn't be in her power at all to make any decisions for Hogwarts. It makes me feel even worse that this is only one small thing that she does compared to all the things she tries to do to teachers and other things of much more authority than her.
The other thing I mentioned earlier was that Harry also changes and develops a lot in this book. Part of the way he changed is ever since last year when Cedric Diggory died he has been on edge and ranting off at people with stress or some negative feeling. An example from the text is on pg. 245 " 'So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord, did he?' Harry asked, his voice shaking... 'Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," she said coldly. I am sort of disappointing that Harry is acting so brutal yet at the same time I understand why he would feel the need to get aggravated at points. I also still really hate Umbridge because she is a horrible woman with no sense of others feelings.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.